Hands On Experience
Open to 18-24 year olds living in NZ who are looking to build life skills, confidence, self-reliance and independence.
20 days from $180 per person
limited to 4 people
Set on our 2.5 hectare food forest garden and permaculture property in North Canterbury, the programme offers young people the chance to immerse themselves in a different kind of life and gain knowledge and inspiration to take with them into the future.
Join us in nature to grow and support a healthy, beautiful ecosystem of abundance.
What you get
Fun, education and self development
Daily immersive experiences, personal development and dedicated learning activities
Unique experience and useful skills
- Spend time with like minded people.
- Experience and learn new, useful and exciting things
- Discover joy and value in living simply and lightly
- Reconnect with the natural world
- Learn to observe and interact
- Turn problems into solutions
Make the most of it
- Continue to explore the forest garden at your own pace
- Visit the animals
- Relax and enjoy your meals
- Visit nearby attractions such as Hanmer Springs, Kaikoura, Cheviot Hills Reserve, Gore Bay
- Socialise with others or spend quiet time by yourself enjoying reading, art, meditation, yoga
What you give
participate, learn, grow, contribute
We ask for your help with the common, day-to-day tasks of living in nature
Take charge of your hunger
- You are responsible for your own food
- We provide weekly transport to grocery shopping in Cheviot
- We can offer cooking tips and advice
- Forage seasonal herbs, veggies, and fruit from the food forest garden
Your payment helps cover running costs
We value the contribution you make while you are here
Where you'll stay
Funky, Eco Accommodation
This is a shared space. You will be placed with another like-minded individual to share the bedroom and living areas.
- Enclosed sunroom, kitchen and garden
- Wood fire for heating
- Gas barbeque
- Outdoor toilet and shower nearby
Choose this option if you prefer to have space and time to yourself or if you are a couple who are signing up for the programme together.
- Self contained kitchen
- Easy access to an outdoor toilet and shower
- Outdoor firebath for nighttime stargazing
- Private deck overlooking the native bush
Your hosts and mentors Olmec and Melisa
At Blockhill life is relaxed, simple, and a departure from the fast paced urban modern lifestyle.
Since 2009 we have worked to transform the land into a lush and abundant eco-system of plants and animals with a deep connection to nature and the rhythms of the seasons.
We have been sharing our knowledge and experience with hundreds of people over the years and offer you this opportunity to have a unique and memorable experience while learning something new.