Adventure, learning & work exchange
We invite application from motivated, passionate individuals or couples seeking to experience and participate in life on our permaculture lifestyle 'farm' in North Canterbury.
What's the deal, how does it work?
Open to: Motivated individuals or couples aged 18 - 39
Duration: By arrangement - 3 day minimum
What you get: We want your experience and memories of blockhill to be positive and educational.
- Comfortable and funky private accommodation: Self contained modified shipping container house with enclosed outdoor kitchen
- Private outdoor solar and wood heated shower, composting toilet and fire bath (not available over summer)
- Educational experiences, discussions and dedicated learning activities such as flax weaving, bread making, plant identification, grafting...
- Forage seasonal produce from the forest garden
- Heaps of free time to explore, relax, enjoy and reconnect with the rhythms of nature
- Friendly animal encounters (birds, pigs, ducks, chickens... maybe a possum)
Cooking: Wood fire with oven and cooktop (also for heating and hot water) and gas cooker
Food: You are responsible for all your own food. This means that you will need to bring food with you when you arrive.
What you give: We ask for your help with the common, day-to-day work of living in nature. This is usually 1.5 - 2 hours of work activities per day depending on the weather.
Activities may include:
- Clearing paths and removing weeds
- Making and improving gardens
- Harvesting fruit and vegetables (mostly February - May)
- Planting and pruning trees (mostly June - September)
- Making firewood
- Light construction
If you are interested in staying and working with us for a while, please complete the questions below. We will get back to you.
Tell us your skills and experience